Our Mission: “Go and Bear Fruit…Fruit that Will Last” (John 15:16)
Broetje Orchards is unique in the apple growing and packing industry because we are founded on the belief that faith and business can be incorporated in a single mission.
- Servant leadership is core to our overarching mission: ‘how’ and ‘why’ we do our work is more important than any dollar amount given or number of people served. We seek to connect ourselves and our employees to a larger purpose of service to others.
- Broetje Orchards is the largest employer in Walla Walla County and the third largest tax payer with over 1,000 permanent employees and up to 2,800 during harvest season. The company is a major force for job creation in Southeastern Washington.
- Investing over $10 million (in 1990 and 2006), Broetje Orchards built two communities in Prescott and Pasco which offer 121 units of affordable housing, 108 units of seasonal housing, and home ownership opportunities to employees.
- To help meet a growing need for child care, we built an on-site daycare facility in 1987 to serve over 75 children. Broetje Orchards subsidizes the costs so that workers can receive up to $5,000/year toward their child care expenses there.
- To address the unique needs of Latino students, we founded Vista Hermosa Elementary to provide extended-day, year-round programming for 135 students in grades preK-5th.
- The Broetje family built Jubilee Youth Ranch, housing up to 48 troubled teens annually.
- Broetje Orchards donates 50% of profits annually to those in need around the world.
- Each year, employees direct 100% of Cherry Crop Donations, actively shaping our organization’s philanthropic values and impact. Since 1997, total giving by employees has exceeded $6 million.
- Funded by the Broetje family, the Vista Hermosa Foundation has donated over $50 million in the past 20 years, prioritizing rural and agricultural development, education and leadership training in developing countries.
- Broetje Orchards offers an annual profit share—5% equal distribution of pre-tax profits to all year-round employees.
- Through the various organizations it created, Broetje Orchards offers continuing education opportunities for employees and family members through the following:
i) Computer literacy programs iv) Servant Leadership courses
ii) Scholarships (adults and youth) v) Social services and family outreach
iii) ESL and GED classes vi) Camp Vista & Summer Youth programs
- Broetje Orchards has become a learning lab for people interested in exploring a more holistic model for Corporate Social Responsibility. Visitors include college groups, youth groups, elementary and middle schools, churches and business owners. We have also received numerous awards over the years for our service and impact.